Macalloy take a proactive view to the world’s current situation, and in the last few years has implemented plans to become more sustainable. Steel being the heart of the company's manufacturing process; Macalloy now practices the recycling of steel waste intuitively.
Macalloy contributes significantly to following key facts:
- Every single year, 440 million tonnes of steel are recycled across the world. This is equivalent of recycling 150 Eiffel Towers every day.
- All new steel is made with a significant recycled content. The modern steelmaking process requires it and it is not possible to produce steel without it. The average recycled content of structural steel used in the UK is 60%.
- Much of a building environmental burden and carbon footprint are the result of its foundations. Steel’s high strength-to-weight ratio results in light resource-efficient structures with reduced foundations.
- More steel is produced in the world every hour than the amount of gold that has ever been refined.
- Research with UK demolition industry shows 99% of structural steelwork is reused or recycled at the end of a structure’s life. This means steel specified today is very unlikely ever to become waste.
Download Macalloy's Stainless Steel Sustainability Document.